Good question, many migrants spend a lot of money on communication costs. It is because they are not very conscious about the amount they are spending, and some migrants even maintain several phone units. Thus, when deciding about how to pay for your phone, consider the following:
Going for subscription:
- The monthly subscription charge and other related costs especially if you will consider getting a data plan to maximize free sms and calls through wifi services;
- The rate charged for calls and SMS in and outside of Hong Kong;
- Any extra charge if you go beyond your data plan, as well as the provided free call minutes and text messages;
- Length of contract period, and how much it will cost if you will have to cut your contract short.
- Rate of call per minute as well as text messages, especially for communicating outside Hong Kong;
- Administration fee costs if there are any;
Pay as you Go topping up via recharge vouchers:
Best to ask yourself what will be most efficient and cost effective in terms of securing your phone via plan or top up. But, whatever it is you decide, you have to maintain discipline in using it to ensure that you do not spend too much money on it.
Also, make sure to use your phone for personal concerns during break time or after work hours. Avoid using and exchanging messages while at work, especially when taking care of a child.